“In the Context of Empire” is a podcast where two social studies teachers discuss history, American empire, US politics and their own lives. Traditional narratives regarding American history are challenged in a tone that ranges from playful to hostile.
Jon and Matt were honored to speak with David Swanson, prolific anti-war activist, journalist, executive director of World Beyond War, and campaign coordinator for rootsaction.org. He is also the author of many books including War is a Lie and Leaving World War II Behind. David has been nominated for the Nobel Peace prize and is a tireless advocate for ending US militarism
- Matt’s newest article and how it is that America historically and currently has created all of its foreign policy problems
- David’s background and motivations for antiwar activism
- Some common lies that are told regarding war both broadly and about specific conflicts
- The mythologies and wrong lessons that Americans believe about their country’s role in WWII
- How the US fueled the rise of Hitler and Nazism
- Why we should be saying “Thank you for your service” to the troops
- Changing the culture and language around war, IE “Defense Contractor” to “Merchant of Death”
- David’s concerns about the likely Biden foreign policy team
- Neera Tanden’s infamous email wherein she suggests that Libya should pay for the privilege of being destroyed by the United States
David’s Work. Please Support Him!
David’s Books: War is a Lie, Leaving World War II Behind and many more.
Matt’s newest article: America is to Blame for America’s Foreign Policy Problems
Read our “In the Context of Empire” blog with corresponding and expanded posts to this content!
Social Media: Twitter- @Mattylongruns.