#DropTheF35Deal Weekend of Action - January 6-8, 2023
Across Canada, hundreds took action to reject Canada’s plans to buy 88 new bomber jets.
The weekend of action received widespread press coverage:
- AlJazeera: Canada finalises deal to buy dozens of F-35 fighter jets from US
- Orillia Matters: Peace group plans protest against fighter jet purchase
- Global News: Protest held in Montreal against purchase of F-35 fighter jets
- Collingwood Today: Peace group plans protest against fighter jet purchase
- MSN: No Fighter Jets Coalition protests Canada’s planned F-35 purchase
- Ottawa Citizen: Government to announce F-35 deal Monday — Trudeau had said stealth fighter didn’t work and wasn’t needed
- CityNews Vancouver: Peace activists outside MP Jagmeet Singh’s Burnaby office protest against Canadian government’s investment on fighter jets
- CHEK: Victoria Peace Coalition protests Canada’s planned F-35 purchase
- The Spec: Protesters interrupt Burlington MP’s New Year’s levee
- The Chronicle Journal: No Fighter Jets Coalition protests Canada’s planned F-35 purchase
Activists wrote letters-to-the-editor and op-eds in The Spec, The Saskatoon Star Phoenix, and La Presse.
In photos: No Fighter Jets #DropTheF35Deal protests from coast to coast
ARCHIVE: No Fighter Jets Week of Action Events Listing
Peace activists will be on the streets from January 6-8, demanding that the Trudeau say no to the F-35 fighter jet deal. The No Fighter Jets campaign encourages peace-loving people across Canada to join demonstrations and activities across Canada for the weekend of action from or to organize your own actions.
On December 22, Global News and La Presse reported that the Canadian government is planning on signing a contract with Lockheed Martin early in the new year. According to a leak by federal government officials, the Department of National Defence has received approval to buy the F-35s despite years of widespread opposition from Canadian citizens, celebrities and parliamentarians. As such, the movement to #DropTheF35Deal and push for #NoFighterJets is as urgent as ever.
Read the Coalition’s response to these developments and more here.
Pour lire cette déclaration en français, cliquez ici.
EDMONTON, AB 1PM, Saturday, January 7 – Gathering at Randy Boissonnault’s constituency office
VICTORIA, BC 1PM, Saturday, January 7 – Rally at Inner Harbour Information Centre (950 Wharf St)
Host: Victoria Peace Coalition
VANCOUVER, BC 4PM, Friday, January 6 – Rally at Jagmeet Singh’s office (4940 Kingsway, Burnaby)
Host: Mobilization Against War & Occupation (MAWO)
WINNIPEG, MB 1PM, Saturday, January 7 – Rally at River and Osborne
HALIFAX, NS 12PM – Saturday, January 7 – Gathering in front of the Halifax Central Library (5440 Spring Garden Rd)
Host: Nova Scotia Voice of Women for Peace
COLLINGWOOD, ON 2PM – Friday, January 6 – Protest outside Conservative MP Terry Dowdall’s office (503 Hume St)
Host: Pivot2Peace, World BEYOND War
TORONTO, ON 12PM – Saturday, January 7 – Rally at office of Chrystia Freeland (344 Bloor St. W.)
Host: Pax Christi Toronto and World BEYOND War.
OTTAWA, ON 12PM – Saturday, January 7 – Rally in front of Parliament Hill with “Defund Warplanes” banner.
CAMBRIDGE, ON – 2-2:30PM – Friday, January 6 – Protest at Liberal MP Bryan May’s office (534 Hespeler Rd.)
WATERLOO, ON – 3-3:30PM – Friday, January 6 – Protest at Liberal MP Bardish Chagger’s office (100 Regina St.)
KITCHENER, ON – 10-11AM – Saturday, January 7 – Gathering at Kitchener Farmers Market (300 King St E)
HAMILTON/BURLINGTON, ON – 1PM – Sunday, January 8 – Picket at Minister Karina Gould’s New Year’s Levee (Art Gallery of Burlington, 1333 Lakeshore Road, Burlington, Ontario)
MONTRÉAL, QC – 2PM – Friday, January 6 – Protest outside MP Steven Guilbeault’s office (Meet at the Émilie Gamelin Monument across the street in Place Émilie-Gamelin)